Windows 10 customisation in Apple Boot Camp
Introduction
I have recently purchased a Macbook Pro to replace my previous Dell Inspiron 7000 Ultrabook. While I like Mac OS, I also require a Windows installation. The solution for me is to use Apples Boot Camp to run both OSes on the same machine.
Upon installing Windows, I came across a number of issues and niggles, the solutions to which are shown below:
Microsoft Logon
As Windows cannot find a suitable WiFi card on initial installation (at least on my setup), I had no choice but to set up the machine with a Local user account. Personally I log on to my Windows machines using my Outlook Microsoft account, ensuring synchronisation between devices.
1. Open Settings / Accounts
2. Click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead
3. Follow the verification procedure
Display Resolution / Scaling
While the native panel resolution of 2560x1600 is rather excessive on my 13.3" Macbook Pro, the default scaled resolution is lower than I would like.
1. Open Settings / System / Display
2. Click on Custom Scaling
3. Change the value to whatever you prefer - mine is set to 125
4. Log out and log back in to see the change
Screen automatic brightness
By default the display is too dark and the brightness changes automatically, which is not to my taste:
1. Go into Control Panel / Power Options
2. On Balanced, click on Change Plan Settings
3. Click on Change Advanced Power Settings
4. Go to Display / Enable Adaptive Brightness and turn both values to Off
Keyboard mapping
The standard installation set up my keyboard to be a generic UK keyboard, however the Macbook keyboard is different - The @ and " are reversed for a start!
1. Go into Control Panel / Language
2. Next to your language (English (United Kingdom) for me), click on Options
3. Click Add an Input Method
4. In the Search box at the top right, search for Apple and select the relevant keyboard layout (for me United Kingdom (Apple) and add it.
5. Remove the previous layout
Trackpad Scrolling
I personally prefer my mouse wheel scroll direction to be the opposite of the default setting in Windows, but there appear to be no options to change this in the Mouse section of Control Panel.
The solution is to make a change to the Registry:
1. Run regedit
2. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumHID
3. Search for FlipFlopWheel
4. For each hit inside CurrentControlSetEnumHID, change the value from 0 to 1
download file now
alternative link download