Why the MiniKicks Still Win Everytime or my scooters are better than your bikes
It seems that during the week in which my boys learned to crawl they also held a meeting wherein they decided that from that day onward the stroller just would not do. Even under the circumstances of extreme exhaustion, they agreed never to settle for anything less than Mommas back or Dadas neck.
For a long stretch of time, we found ourselves doing things like carrying toddlers while pushing an empty stroller. Fools at best; suckers at worst. Eventually we just stopped bringing the stroller and embraced our temporary state as pack-mules for the tiny totalitarians. One of the steps is acceptance, right?
But then they got a lot heavier and a bit more reasonable. I decided to reintroduce the stroller as more of a royal livery--they could climb in to rest their weary limbs if need be, take a drink, grab a snack, and then disembark when they felt the need to stretch their limbs. Straps are never acknowledged; buckles are never snapped. They feel the illusion of freedom, while I know that in a pinch I can tie them both down and run back to the car (a sort of emergency plan for a mother of multiples). Everyone is happy.
Now why do I mention all of this in a post about scooters? Well, this whole scheme I have going on would fall to pieces if I introduced bikes into the picture. I can picture myself now...2 miles into the Manasquan Reservoir Loop with one boy disappearing into the distance, smoke coming off of his pedals, while the other boy is hanging onto my leg crying that he just cannot ride another foot. What would you do?
I would not get myself into this pickle in the first place. I choose scooters.
They go fast enough that I can actually get a decent workout pushing the stroller to keep up. I can throw them into my car and go anywhere I choose for a nice ride. And when the boys are beat and want a respite upon their livery, I can sling the Minikicks over the back of my BOB and continue on our way.
I am not a terrible mother--the boys will get bikes for their third birthday when they are good and ready to start pedaling. But until then, I will relish every minute with my scooters. Just for the record, I can carry two scooters, two helmets, and one recalcitrant child, while simultaneously hanging on tightly to the hand of a two-year old flight risk. That is to say, these toys fit perfectly into my world. And maybe yours too.
download file now
alternative link download